We have made good progress with setting up accounts and are now almost ready to start our MoRe project. It is all very exciting and I am really happy that I found students who are interested and keen to trial this approach. We will all learn from it. Great!
I have to say that the process of setting it all up took much longer than expected, but then again, I was probably too optimistic. However, I am lucky that the project is carried out in a micro-scale and enabled supporting individual participants effectively and smoothly.
The face-to-face workshop didn’t resolve all the issues and it was actually afterwards when the real issues were identified. The whole setting-up process might have seen easy for me, because I had done it before, but it was certainly more complicated for participating students who didn’t use these tools before. I have to admit at some point, I thought, I have overcomplicated it all and that it won’t work. But we are almost there now and ready to roll. We will have the first reflective mp3s next week, which is SUPER!!!
For larger scale projects, I would suggest that additional detailed self-study guides should be made available in printed and electronic version and include animated screen captures as well. I think I made it too hard for everybody. But we are all learning from it. Also, I would, in the future if I would start a similar project, try and use at least an online tool they are already familiar with. I could have introduced for example http://www.wordpress.com for recording the written reflections at the beginning of their studies. Then everybody would have an account already and would be a bit more familiar with blogging. Never mind! Live and learn.
It was though, or is good, I think, anyway, that everybody is using their own phones. It will be very interesting to discover which phones are used more, mobiles or landline… and why.
One more little detail to sort out with one of the pilots and we can press ‘go’.